With our social media campaign #TogetherAgainstChildLabour we call on policy makers to:
- Declare education a priority and demand for investing in quality, formal and inclusive public education.
- Accept that child labour is a complex issue and demand for investing in broad solutions such as area-based approaches and social protection measures.
- Implement mandatory Human Rights Due Diligence legislation, and take responsibility in supporting and implementing legislation.
What happened so far?
- By 15 May, the start of the Global Conference on the Elimination of Child Labour, we called on governments, employers and private sector to act through social media. The campaign was supported by many organisations.
- During the Global Conference, from 15 to 20 May, we focused our messaging on ensuring access to publicly funded, qualitative, safe education for all children.
- The Global Conference adopted the Durban Call to Action on 20 May. The document is an important international commitment which we will use to support our advocacy action, reaffirm our demand for quality, formal and inclusive public education, for investment in broad solutions and for implementation of mandatory legislation.
What’s next in #TogetherAgainstChildLabour?
We are preparing the next campaign push targeting policy makers to make sure that governments will develop national action plans as they promised in Durban. Stay tuned! We still need your help to make sure our voices are heard.
Who we are
We – Save the Children Netherlands, UNICEF Netherlands and Stop Child Labour – are leading this campaign, with the support of Global March against Child Labour, Education International, Global Campaign for Education and many others. We are striving for action to get children out of work and into school. A comprehensive set of measures and initiatives, including relevant legislation, is essential to turn the tide and realise tangible changes towards eliminating child labour. We cannot stand by while a new generation of children is put at risk. Together we fight child labour!